Sunday we were reminded that James 1:19-20 tells us, "...Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." So how are you doing with those three areas in your marriage?
We know that all couples will disagree, argue and usually hurt each others feelings. It is not a matter of IF but WHEN. If we want to have a healthy relationship with our spouse or future spouse, a long lasting marriage, then we really need to learn how to fight fair.
In every relationship that I have encountered the biggest problem that leads to these disagreements has been communication or lack of communication and that is where this passage in James comes into play.
If we want to fight fair and help our communication to stay healthy then we need the rules that God has setup for us to follow. He reminds us in His Word to: Stop to listen carefully. Being fully engaged with our hearing and vision in the conversation.
To secondly, guard your words faithfully. It is about being slow to speak not everything needs to be said and we need to stay focused on one issue at a time. I gave you list of things to never say or do in a fight with your spouse: never call names, never raise your voice, never get historical (the past), never say never or always, never threaten divorce or break-up and never quote your pastor during a fight.
Finally, we need to handle our anger in a righteous manner. Not allowing the emotion of anger to turn to sin. Make sure we take a time-out to step back, pray, allow God to cool us down before speaking. I know, I know, that is a difficult one, especially for those of us that are hot-headed. But it is necessary if we want to keep and have a strong healthy marriage and relationship.
I want each of you to know that my hearts desire is to see great growth and healthy relationships across our congregation. When we have healthy relationships at home it spreads through the church, community and the world. Romans 12:21 reminds each of us, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
- You can be here in PERSON or watch our Sunday Service via live stream on our Facebook page click HERE. Our Youtube page click HERE or our Web page click HERE.
- Combined Men and Women's Bible Study on the Gospel of John Wednesday Night at 6:30 pm in the Sanctuary or join us by Zoom. Click HERE to join by Zoom.
- It is never too late to join a Rooted (LifeGroup) get signed up and start building community with each other.
- Men's Breakfast at 9:00 am at Marlin's.
- Membership Class begins Sunday at 9:30 am with Pastor Tim in room 105.
- 40 Day Lenten Reading Plan are available in person in the foyer or click HERE to print your own.
Sunday we will be looking at how to 'Have Fun' in our relationships See you Sunday!
Harvest Community Church of the Nazarene