POOR IN SPIRIT
Good Morning Harvest Church Family!
Pastor Stephen kicked-off our series on The Kingdom Experiment that focuses on The Beatitudes that are foundational for Kingdom living through Jesus Christ on Earth. Matthew 5:3-12 states, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Verse 11, “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”
Pastor Stephen remined us that "To be poor in spirit simply means we need to have an attitude of humility. Poor in spirit = HUMILITY. Humility is not thinking LESS of yourself – it is thinking of yourself LESS. Humility is admitting that you don’t have it all together. Humility is admitting that you don’t know it all. Humility is realizing that the universe does not revolve around me. Humility is admitting to God that YOU need HIS help.
During these crazy days I have heard lots of talk, debate and chaos surrounding this pandemic, this election, and culturally/racially charged protests and riots. What I haven't heard a lot of is realizing that ALL of US need to humbly come to God and ask for His guidance, wisdom, forgiveness, healing and peace. If leaders both of the nation and world would see the benefits of humility which reduce selfishness, improves relationships on all levels and then releases God's power, think what could happen. Imagine how our world would be changed. Then we would truly see "the poor in spirit" lived out, a true Kingdom Experiment.
- You can be here in PERSON or watch our Sunday Service via live stream on our Facebook page click HERE. Our Youtube page click HERE or our Web page click HERE.
- Get signed up for a Rooted Group HERE. There are plenty of different times and choices to get connected and build community. We even have a Zoom meeting for those not comfortable meeting together in person. There really is no excuse for you to not be in a group to grow and deepen relationships and our understanding of living out God's plan for our lives.
- Trunk or Treat is quickly approaching and we need lots of YOU to sign-up for a decorated trunk and to help make this event possible. We did not have VBS this year or our summer BBQ's due to COVID-19 and this is one outreach that will be safe and to help us reach into our community, but it takes ALL of US to make it possible. Take time to sign-up in person at church or HERE online for a trunk and HERE to volunteer. Thanks for your help!!
- Remember that masks are not required but recommended for service and continue to wash or sanitize hands frequently to help stop the spread of COVID-19. If you would like to visit longer with others we ask that you please carry your conversation outside of the church building.
- All of our Wednesday Night Ministries are in full swing.
Plan on being here in person or online Sunday!
Harvest Community Church of the Nazarene